Citywide Council On Special Education (CCSE)
What does the CCSE do?
- Advises and comments on educational or instructional policies involving students with disabilities.
- Issues an annual report on the effectiveness of the city district in providing services to students with disabilities.
- Holds at least one meeting per month open to the public during which the public may discuss issues facing students with disabilities.
How many members serve on the CCSE?
- Nine (9) parents of students with an IEP who currently receive special education services that are provided by and/or paid for by the Department of Education;
- Two (2) individuals appointed by the Public Advocate who have experience and/or knowledge in the areas of educating, training or employing individuals with handicapping conditions; and
- One (1) non-voting high school senior receiving special education services.
Can the parent of a current District 75 student serve on the CCSE?
Yes. In fact, two (2) of the nine (9) parent members must be parents who are currently receiving citywide special education services in a District 75 school.
When is eligibility determined?
Eligibility is determined as of the date that the parent submits an application to run for a position on the CCSE.
How and when can I apply to serve on the CCSE?
During the 2013 Selection Process, you can apply to serve on the CCSE HERE (on or after February 13, 2013). The application process ends at 11:59 pm on March 27th. For those lacking access to a personal computer, the Division of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) will provide information regarding how individuals may access computers at FACE’s office, in local district offices and schools, and at public libraries.
BEGINNING ON FEBRUARY 13th, YOU CAN APPLY HERE TO SERVE ON THE CCSE. PAPER APPLICATONS WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD AT THAT TIME.
*PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK THE “CCSE” BOX ON THE CITYWIDE APPLICATION!
*PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE A PERSONAL STATEMENT IN THE SECTION OF THE APPLICATION ENTITLED “PERSONAL STATEMENT” BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. IF YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION WITHOUT A PERSONAL STATEMENT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO INCLUDE IT AFTER THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED. IF YOU ARE AN ELIGIBLE NOMINEE, YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT WILL APPEAR IN THE CANDIDATE’S BROCHURE AND ON THE SELECTION WEBSITE EXACTLY AS ORIGINALLY SUBMITTED BY YOU DURING THE APPLICATION PROCESS. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE ANY CHANGES AFTER YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION.