How can I apply to serve on a Council?
- You can apply online beginning February 13th, 2013. The application process ends at 11:59 pm on March 13th. For those lacking access to a personal computer, the Division of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) will provide information regarding how individuals may access computers at FACE’s office, in local district offices and schools, and at public libraries.
- To apply to serve on a Community Education Council (CEC), click HERE (on or after February 13, 2013). Be sure to use the drop down bar to indicate which CEC(s) you’d like to serve on!
- To apply to serve on a Citywide Council, click HERE (on or after February 13, 2013). Be sure to specify which Citywide Council(s) you’d like to serve on!
- Note that if you want to apply to serve on a CEC and a Citywide Council, you must complete two (2) separate application forms.
How long does it take to complete the Council application form?
- The total amount of time required to complete the Council application form is estimated at 25-30 minutes.
Can I apply to serve on more than one Council?
- Yes, interested parents can apply to serve on more than one Council. However, parents can only be selected to serve on one Council. Parents applying to serve on multiple Councils must rank each Council they would like to serve on in the order of preference.
What if I’m selected to serve on multiple Councils?
- Parents applying to serve on multiple Councils must rank each Council they would like to serve on in the order of preference. In the event that a parent is selected to serve on multiple Councils, the parent will be assigned to serve on the Council which the parent ranked the highest from among the Councils to which the parent is selected.
What are Candidate Forums?
- Candidate Forums are an opportunity for candidates to meet and speak to parents and designated Selectors from their community in order to discuss why they should be selected to serve on an education council.
Are candidates required to attend the Candidate Forums?
- No. However, candidates are strongly encouraged to attend. The forums provide an opportunity for candidates to engage the community directly and express why they believe they should be selected to serve on a council.
In addition to applying to be candidates, are there other ways for parents to be involved with the selection process for the Councils?
- Yes, there are a variety of ways for parents to participate. You can help recruit other candidates to apply for the Councils; attend and ask questions of the candidates during Candidate Forums in late April; help campaign for the candidates you support; and urge your Parent Selectors to vote for the candidates you support during the Selector’s Vote.