How Can I Apply to Serve on a Council?
You can apply online beginning February 9, 2017. The application period ends at 11:59 pm on March 5, 2017. If you do not have access to a computer, please call 311 for information on how to access computers at local district offices and schools, or at public libraries.
Apply for a Community Education Council (CEC). Be sure to use the drop-down bar to indicate which CEC(s) you would like to serve on!
Apply for a Citywide Education Council. Be sure to specify which Citywide Education Council(s) you would like to serve on!
How long does it take to complete the application form?
It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete the application form.
Can I apply to serve on more than one Council?
Yes, you can apply to serve on more than one Council. You must rank each Council in order of preference and, if selected for multiple Councils, you will be assigned to serve on the Council you ranked highest.
Who is not eligible to apply to serve on the Education Councils?
- Persons holding elective public office or elective or appointed party positions (except delegate or alternate delegate to a national, state, judicial, or other party convention, or member of a county committee);
- Current DOE employees;
- Persons who have been convicted of a felony;
- Persons who have been convicted of any crime that is directly related to their service on an Education Council, Community School Board, PA/PTA, School Leadership Team (SLT), District Presidents’ Council, Borough High School Council, or Title I Committee;
- Persons who have been removed from an Education Council, Community School Board, PA/PTA, SLT, District Presidents’ Council, Borough High School Council, or Title I Committee for an act of malfeasance that is directly related to their service on such council, board, association, team or committee
- Persons who are serving on another CEC, the CCHS, CCELL, CCSE or the D75 Council
- Members of the Panel for Education Policy
- Persons who have a conflict of interest, as determined by the DOE Ethics Officer or another designee of the Chancellor based on the Conflicts of Interest Law of the City of New York
What are Candidate Forums?
Candidate Forums are organized by the district and borough Presidents’ Councils and are an opportunity for candidates to meet and speak with parents and selectors.
Am I required to attend a Candidate Forum?
You are strongly encouraged to attend your district or borough Candidate Forum, as the forums are the best opportunity for candidates to engage the community and the selectors who will be voting for them.